Code of honor of an officer of the Russian empire in 1904. It would not be superfluous to add these points to the current code.
1. Don't promise if you're not sure you will keep your promise.
2. Keep yourself simple, with dignity, without fad.
3. It is necessary to remember the border where the full of dignity of politeness ends and groveling begins.
4. Do not write rash letters and reports in the heat of the moment.
5. Be less frank - you will regret it. Remember: my tongue is my enemy!
6. Do not kuti - you will not prove your daring, but you will compromise yourself.
7. Do not rush to get on a short leg with a person whom you do not know enough.
8. Avoid cash accounts with friends. Money always ruins relationships.
9. Do not take at your own expense insulting remarks, witticisms, ridicule, said afterwards, which often happens on the streets and in public places. Be above this. Go away - you won't lose, but you will get rid of the scandal.
10. If you cannot say anything good about someone, then refrain from saying bad things, if you do.
11. Do not neglect anyone's advice - listen. The right, whether to follow it or not, will remain with you. Taking good advice from another is no less an art than giving good advice to yourself.
12. The strength of an officer is not in impulses, but in indestructible calm.
13. Take care of the reputation of the woman who confides in you, whoever she is.
14. There are situations in life when you need to silence your heart and live by reason.
15. A secret that you have communicated to at least one person ceases to be a secret.
16. Be always on the alert and do not disband.
17. Try to keep your words soft in a dispute and firm arguments. Try not to annoy the enemy, but to convince him.
18. It is not customary for officers to dance at public masquerades.
19. When speaking, avoid gesticulation and do not raise your voice.
20. If you entered a society in which there is a person with whom you are in a quarrel, then, greeting everyone, it is customary to give a hand to him, of course, if this cannot be avoided without paying attention to those present or the owners. Sharing your hand does not give rise to unnecessary conversations, and it does not oblige you to anything.
21. Nothing teaches like the realization of your mistake. This is one of the main means of self-education. Only the one who does nothing is not mistaken.
22. When two people quarrel, both are always to blame.
23. Authority is acquired by knowledge of business and service. It is important that subordinates respect you, not fear you. Where there is fear, there is no love, but there is a hidden ill will or hatred.
24. There is nothing worse than indecision. Better a worse decision than hesitation or inaction. A lost moment cannot be returned.
25. The one who is not afraid of anything is more powerful than the one whom everyone is afraid of.