20 interesting facts about human behavior - we read and try to find our own facts.
1. People with high testosterone levels take pleasure in the anger of others.
2. People tend to humiliate others when they are not confident in themselves. Subjects who were told they performed poorly on the IQ test expressed more national and religious bias than those who were reported to perform well.
3. At the same time, people are sincerely sure that their negative opinion about others is sincere and has nothing to do with their lowered opinion about themselves. Humiliating others helps restore self-esteem.
4. Bodily sensations affect people's behavior. For example, there is a strong association between a feeling of heaviness and "importance", "seriousness", "weight". People rated a person as more serious and stable if their resume was submitted in a heavy folder, and vice versa.
5. Likewise, the feeling of stiffness and hardness makes people inflexible. Those sitting on hard chairs were more uncompromising in negotiations. The feeling of a rough surface makes people feel difficult in relationships between people, and cold is closely associated with a feeling of loneliness.
6. People tend to commit immoral acts or not fulfill someone's request for help, if this does not require any effort or will not have to refuse the person outright.
7. However, more people behave "the right way" if they have to make a moral decision in front of someone. Direct requests for help, donations, or collecting signatures are less likely to be denied.
8. Lying requires a lot of mental effort. A person simultaneously has to keep a lie in his head - in order to tell it, and the truth - in order to hide it. As a result, he pronounces simpler sentences and does less well at tasks on quick wits.
9. When people are observed, they behave better. And the illusion of observation works too. It was enough to hang the photographs of the eyes in the self-service canteen for more people to start cleaning up the dishes.
10. At the same time, behavior affects morality (yes, yes). People who have lied, deceived someone or committed another immoral act then evaluate differently what is good and what is bad.
11. Attractive, honest looks can be easily misleading. People tend to trust looks more than honesty. Even professionals considered lying people with sincere manners to be honest 86% of the time.
12. Appearance plays a huge role even in voting and the choice of politicians. Voters conclude that politicians are competent in terms of facial maturity and physical attractiveness. Of course, unconsciously.
13. The more successful and wealthy are considered more intelligent, wiser, etc., and vice versa. And often people tend to think that those who have succeeded, and those who have suffered, deserve it.
14. Happier is not the one who has a lot of money, but the one who has more than the neighbor. Dissatisfaction with big money is partly based on this. People are constantly comparing themselves to their neighbors. Having got rich, they begin to rotate in new circles, where people have even more money, and it is not easy to rise above others.
15. Anger increases the desire for possession in people. People put more effort into obtaining an object that they associate with angry faces. Previously, this was considered only a property of positive emotions.
16. The more difficult the decision to make, the more people tend to leave things as they are. If there is too much choice in the store and people cannot immediately determine which of the goods is better, they will leave without buying.
17. When people feel that they are not in control of what is happening, they tend to see non-existent patterns in unrelated pictures and believe in conspiracy theories.
18. People regret making decisions quickly, even if they are happy with the results. In this case, it is not the actual time allotted for the decision that is important. It is important whether the person feels that there was enough time.
19. Not all risks are perceived equally. The same person can fearlessly jump with a parachute, but be afraid to object to the boss. Or train tigers, but hesitate to meet a pretty woman.
20. Boredom has a bright side. Bored people often look for an opportunity to do good deeds, because they are tired of entertainment and do not bring meaning to their lives.