56 interesting facts about geography that you may not have heard of.
1. The Kingdom of Tonga is the only monarchy in Oceania.
2. The Trans-Siberian Railway crosses exactly 3901 bridges.
3. The Philippines archipelago includes 7107 islands.
4. On the Iranian flag the inscription "Allah akbar" is repeated 22 times.
5. The 7 largest countries in the world (Russia, Canada, USA, China, Australia, Brazil and Argentina) occupy half of the entire land mass of the planet.
6. There are 5 states in Europe that border only one other state - Portugal, Denmark, San Marino, Vatican and Monaco.
7. The eruption of the Mexican volcano Parikutin lasted 9 years (from 1943 to 1952). During this time, the cone of the volcano rose to 2774 meters.
8. On the central square of the Canadian town of Glendon stands its official symbol - a dumpling 9 meters high and weighing 2, 700 kg.
9. The London equivalent of New York Wall Street is called Lombard Street.
10. In the State of Togo, a man who has paid a compliment to a woman is obliged to marry her.
11. Five boroughs of New York: Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Manhattan.
12. The largest desert in Europe - Ryn-sands. It is located between the Volga and the Urals (on the territory of Kazakhstan and Russia).
13. Japan has more than 3900 islands.
14. The Ganges has the largest delta of all rivers.
15. In the USA there are as many as 3 cities of Peru and 9 more Paris.
16. Less than 1 percent of the Caribbean islands are inhabited.
17. Of the 25 highest peaks in the world, 19 are in the Himalayas.
18. Until almost the end of the 1980s, there was no telephone in Bhutan.
19. The coldest capital in the world is Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia).
20. 336 rivers flow into Lake Baikal, and only one flows out (Angara).
21. The last eruption of the Japanese volcano Fujiyama occurred in 1707.
22. The largest ports in the world: Rotterdam, Singapore, Kobe, New York, New Orleans.
23. Nauru is the only state in the world that does not have an official capital.
24. Cuba is the only Caribbean island with railways.
25. The first capital of the Russian state was Ladoga.
26. There are 17 active volcanoes in Japan.
27. On February 18, 1979, it was snowing in the Sahara Desert.
28. 23 of the 50 US states have ocean access.
29. Despite the fact that Delhi and Novosibirsk are located almost at the same longitude, their time differs by an hour and a half. This is due to the fact that there is a special daylight saving time in India.
30. In Thailand, it is still considered indecent to use a fork when eating. A fork is only used to transfer food from a plate to a spoon.
31. The center of Europe is located on the territory of Ukraine in the Transcarpathian region between the cities of Tyachiv and Rakhiv, near the village of Delovoe, and the center of Asia is in the city of Kizyl in the Tuva Republic.
32. There is only one river in the world, which originates at the equator and flows into the temperate zone: the Nile. For some obscure reason, the rest of the rivers flow in the opposite direction.
33. Several buildings in Manhattan have their own postal code. And the World Trade Center even has several.
34. The highest extinct volcano on Earth is Aconcagua, located in Argentina. Its height is 6960 meters.
35. The 7 most numerous peoples in the world: Chinese (Han), Hindustans, US Americans, Bengalis, Russians, Brazilians and Japanese.
36. Montpellier (Vermont) is the smallest state capital in the United States. Its population is only about nine thousand inhabitants.
37. The capital of the state of Vermont Montpellier is the only state capital in the United States that does not have a single McDonald's.
38. One of the largest Icelandic geysers, located on the slope of the Hekla volcano, is called ... Geyser.
39. In Malaysia, they believe that by bathing a child in beer, you can protect him from all sorts of troubles and diseases.
40. The national anthem of Greece has 158 versions. Not a single resident of Greece knows all 158 versions of their country's anthem.
41. The Ob River has about 150, 000 (!) Tributaries.
42. There is not a single river in Saudi Arabia.
43. Indonesia is located on 17, 508 islands.
44. The Red Sea is the warmest sea on Earth.
45. The inhabitants of the island of Lesbos are called lesbians and lesbians, not lesbians and lesbians.
46. In Moscow there is a river Los, and the largest of the streams flowing into it is called ... Losenok.
47. For the Chinese and Koreans, the surname always comes first (that is, the surname of Mao Zedong is Mao).
48. The widest street in the world is located in Brasilia (street "Monumental axis", width - 250 meters).
49. In the town of Kalama, located in the Chilean Atacama Desert, it never rains.
50. The State of Papua New Guinea includes the islands of New Britain and New Ireland.
51. There are 26 islands in Amsterdam and Antwerp, 101 in St. Petersburg, and 118 in Venice.
52. South America has only two landlocked countries: Bolivia and Paraguay.
53. The city of Hong Kong has the highest number of Rolls-Royce vehicles in the world.
54. Lebanon is the only state in the Middle East that has no deserts.
55. Unlike most African nations, Ethiopia has never been a European colony.
56. In May 1948, two New Zealand volcanoes, Ruapehu and Ngauruhoe, erupted simultaneously.