Bees are divided into "left-handed" and "right-handed"

An interesting discovery was made by scientists from Queensland University, who studied the behavior of honey bees. These insects in everyday life in pollination of the colors are forced to face numerous obstacles, so the mechanism of their overcoming developed by bees is of great interest. In particular, experts carried out an experiment, which of the paths - narrow or wide - will choose bees when flying to food.

For this, two arches of different widths were installed between the hives and the feeder. Insects took turns to the arms and chose the one that, in their opinion, was most convenient for flight. The overwhelming majority of 100 buzzing experiment participants chose a wider arch, which looks logical, as it implies less risk of injury during the flight and the most flight speed.

But when scientists decided to make the width of the two arches the same, they noticed an interesting feature: 55% of the bees chose their way randomly, and the remaining 45% of times at times was chosen for a span or left arch or right. Repeating experiment a few dozen times and having received the same results for someone and the same bees, scientists took the "right-hander" group and the "left-hander" and made wider uncomfortable arches for them. In these cases, in front of the choice of the path insects, some time decided, and then flew through a safer obstacle, albeit uncomfortable for them. The results of the study showed that bees not only possess individual flight features, but also are able to go against their habits to a safer goal.

Scientists suggest that the separation of bees on the "right-hander" and "left-handers" is necessary to facilitate their navigation. Otherwise, if all bees from the colony would fly on one way, it would significantly make food pickup.