Ducks are several genera of duck birds. Ducks include sheaths, diving ducks (diving), white-headed duck, river ducks, steamer ducks, muscovy ducks and mergansers; more than 110 species in total. Ducks are widespread, in Russia there are more than 30 species. A male duck is called a drake. Domestic ducks come from the mallard duck. Drakes weigh 3-4 kg, ducks - 2-3.5 kg. Average annual egg production is up to 250 eggs. Breeds: meat (Peking, gray Ukrainian, black white-breasted, etc.), meat and egg (mirror, khaki-campbell, etc.), egg (Indian runners). Bred in many countries, including Russia.
Did you know that:
- Only female ducks quack.
- Quacking duck has no echo.
- Ducks have more cervical vertebrae than a giraffe.
- The feathers of these birds are covered with a special fat and are not wetted with water. The duck applies and distributes sebum from the base of the tail feathers throughout the body.
- Ducks waddle around due to the fact that they have short, widely spaced legs. in order to walk, they have to waddle with their whole body.
- Most ducks, except for musky, are descended from wild mallard ducks. It is believed that among the ancestors of the muscovy ducks are turkeys.
- Ducks can dive to a depth of more than 6 meters to get food.
- Duck test (English duck-test, sometimes duck-test) - a playful test for the evidence of what is happening. Translated from English it looks like:
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is.
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
The test assumes that the essence of the phenomenon can be identified by typical external signs. The expression is a tracing paper from English and is only common in the US and UK.
“One scientist, having bought 20 ducks, immediately ordered to chop one of them into small pieces, which he fed the rest of the birds. A few minutes later he did the same with another duck, and so on, until there was one left, which thus devoured 19 of her friends. " The Belgian comedian Cornelissen published this note in a newspaper to mock the gullibility of the public. Since then, according to one of the versions, false news is called “newspaper ducks”.