Letters that took a long time to reach the addressees

In the 21st century, an email can be sent anywhere in the world and the addressee will receive it in a few seconds. But it was not always so. Previously, the procedure was more laborious: it was required to write the letter itself, seal it in an envelope, indicate the recipient's address and put it in the mailbox. Sometimes it happened that the letter was on the way for many years.

For example, in 2016 a resident of the city of Tomsk received a letter from her brother. And it was sent 40 years ago. At the same time, my brother did not live on the other side of the planet, but in the village of Gromyshevo, which is located in the same Tomsk region. Russian Post employees said they would investigate the incident.

One of the residents of Ufa was a little more fortunate. The letter, which was thrown into a mailbox in the city of Ust-Kut, Irkutsk region, on July 23, 1980 (during the Olympics in Moscow), reached its destination not after 40, but only after 35 years.

One should not think that such cases happen only in the vastness of our vast country. In small Norway, a woman received a letter that her mother-in-law sent 54 years ago. A caring grandmother was interested in the health of her two-year-old grandson. By the time the letter was handed over, the grandson was already at the pre-retirement age.

Tracy Smesers, an Englishwoman, graduated from Tresham College in 1982. The certificate was sent to the mother, who lived in Wellingborough. And delivered to the exact address, but only after 27 and a half years - on February 23, 2010. Tracy herself at that time had already lived in Canada for a long time, but she was sure that her mother had her college diploma all this time.

Germans are famous for their punctuality. But sometimes there are failures in the work of the German post. In 1718, a local priest died in the town of Eisenach. A letter was sent to the neighboring town of Ostheim asking them to send a new rector of the church. The problem was that there were several cities in Germany called Ostheim. In one of these cities, the letter got lost and ended up in the local archive. After 286 years, historian Karl Schneider, working in an archive with documents, discovered this letter. Better late than never - almost three centuries later, it was delivered to the right address.

On April 11, 1912, Dr. John Edward Simpson sent a letter to his mother informing him that he had found a good job on the ocean liner Titanic. A few days later, the ship was wrecked, and Dr. Simpson was among the dead. And the letter sent to the city of Belfast was never delivered to the address. 100 years later, it suddenly appeared at one of the auctions in New York. The starting price is $ 34, 000. An anonymous philanthropist bought the lot and sent it to Belfast, just like 100 years ago.

On May 17, 1913, a twenty-year-old Berliner, Richard Platz, decided to experiment - he put a letter in a bottle and threw it into the waters of the Baltic Sea. In his message, Richard asked the person who found this letter to send it to a Berlin address. And even put in postage stamps to save the stranger from unnecessary expenses. 100 years later, this letter came to the granddaughter of Richard Platz, who had never even seen her grandfather. And the bottle, which contained an unusual letter, became an exhibit at the Maritime Museum in Hamburg.