How the painting was divided in half

In 1905, the director of the Yekaterinoslav Historical and Archaeological Museum, Dmitry Ivanovich Yavornitsky, donated an unusual painting to his museum, which was called "A Cossack in Battle".

The new exhibit immediately aroused the interest of visitors. The painting was not painted on canvas, but on a massive door, and the door was sawn in half. How did this unusual piece end up in the museum? And the story is quite interesting.

DI Yavornitsky, before his move to Yekaterinoslav, was an assistant professor at Moscow University, where he lectured on archeology, the history of Ukraine and the Zaporozhye Cossacks. While attending a literary and artistic circle, the historian met the young artist Nikolai Ivanovich Strunnikov.

Interesting stories of Yavornytsky about the exploits of the Zaporozhye Cossacks interested the painter, who decided to paint a picture depicting a Zaporozhets in battle.

Strunnikov fulfilled his plan by painting a canvas on the door of the room in which DI Yavornitsky lived. The painting depicted a Cossack wounded in battle, but determined to continue the battle with the enemies.

When the scientist decided to move from Moscow to Yekaterinoslav (now Dnepropetrovsk), he also wanted to take with him a door with an unusual picture. But the owner of the house, A. A. Bakhrushin, a well-known Moscow collector and theatrical figure, said that he did not intend to give up the door, especially such an original one.

After lengthy disputes, Yavornitsky and Bakhrushin, realizing that they could not agree peacefully, decided to go to court.

The judges were in difficulty: the door belonged to Bakhrushin, as the owner of the house, but the painting depicted on it was donated by the artist to Yavornitsky. It was decided to cut the door into two equal parts and throw lots to determine who gets which part.

The lot turned out to be more favorable to Dmitry Ivanovich Yavornitsky - he got the upper part of the picture. It was her that he took with him to Ukraine.

This is how the Yekaterinoslav Museum was replenished with an unusual exhibit.