The city of Ulyanovsk is known as the birthplace of the leader of the world proletariat, Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov-Lenin. It was in this city, which was then called Simbirsk (Sinbirsk), that he was born on April 22, 1870. This is a well-known fact, but many other interesting events are associated with the city on the Volga.
11 interesting facts about the city of Ulyanovsk
- The Sinbirsk Fortress was founded in 1648, in 1780 the city was renamed from Sinbirsk to Simbirsk, and in 1924 it received a new name - Ulyanovsk, in honor of its famous native. The corresponding resolution was adopted by the Central Executive Committee of the USSR. Already in the 21st century, the question of returning the historical name to Ulyanovsk was raised, but this initiative did not find support from the local population.
- By decree of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich in 1648, voivode Bogdan Khitrovo led the construction of new cities and fortresses from the Barysh River to the Volga. Among them, the fortress of Sinbirsk was laid on the Volga bank to protect the outskirts of the Russian state from the raids of nomads. The fortress walls were cut from massive oak logs; towers stood at the corners and above the gates. Simultaneously with the fortress, construction began on the first wooden church - Holy Trinity Cathedral. Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich sent an altar cross as a gift.
- In 1670, the fortress was besieged by the army of the ataman Stepan Razin. A small garrison of the fortress, led by the roundabout Ivan Miloslavsky, held back the onslaught for more than a month. Razin himself was wounded in a battle near the Sviyaga River on October 4, and many of his associates were captured and executed.
The very next year, a new assault on the city was undertaken by the captain Fyodor Sheludyak, an active supporter of Stepan Razin. But he also failed, and in 1672, Sinbirsk was awarded the first coat of arms depicting a lion with a crown on his head and a sword in his paw. The lion was supposed to symbolize the fortitude of the defenders of the fortress during the siege.
- In December 1796, Emperor Paul was the first to issue a decree to rename the Simbirsk governorate into the Simbirsk province. At the end of the 18th century, Simbirsk was a large enough city for that time. It had over 13, 000 inhabitants.
- On July 4, 1763, a son, Andrei, was born into the family of the Sinbir bourgeois Ilya and Anna Ogrodnikovs. From an early age, he took upon himself the feat of fasting and silence, walking around the year without shoes and headgear. Blessed Andrei Simbirsky with prayers restored health to people, and also had the gift of foresight. In 2004, he was canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church.
- At the beginning of the 19th century, a theater troupe was popular in Simbirsk, consisting of serfs and belonging to the local landowner AE Stolypin, who, by the way, was the great-grandfather of the Russian poet M. Yu. Lermontov. But, in 1806, Stolypin decided to part with his troupe and sold it to Moscow for 32, 000 rubles. In Moscow at that time the Imperial Theater was created, which in 1824 was named the Maly Theater.
- The monument to the famous Russian writer and historian Nikolai Mikhailovich Karamzin, a native of the Simbirsk province, was erected in the city in 1845. The monument, made in the style of classicism, was crowned with a statue of the muse of history, Clio, who holds a trumpet in her hand. Local witches began to call the monument "Pig-iron woman" and "Baba with a pipe".
- Interestingly, there were few monuments dedicated to famous figures of science and culture in Russia in the first half of the 19th century. The first was the monument in honor of M.V. Lomonosov, erected in 1832 in Arkhangelsk. And the second was awarded this honor Karamzin.
- Eight years, from 1879 to 1887 Vladimir Ulyanov studied at the Simbirsk classical gymnasium. And its director at that time was Fyodor Mikhailovich Kerensky, the father of Alexander Kerensky, the future head of the Provisional Government. When Vladimir was passing his final exams, his elder brother Alexander was executed for preparing an assassination attempt on the emperor. Despite the fact that Vladimir Ulyanov studied well, the presentation of the medal was in question. He taught her only thanks to the guarantee of the director of the gymnasium, Kerensky.
- On November 24, 2009, the opening of the bridge took place in Ulyanovsk, which was named Presidential. The decree on its construction was signed in 1992 by Russian President Boris N. Yeltsin, and another president, Dmitry Medvedev, was present at the opening ceremony. The length of the bridge was 5825 meters, until 2012 it was the longest in Russia.
- Ulyanovsk is often called the aviation capital of Russia. This is not surprising, the city ranks first in the country in the production of civil aircraft. The Institute of Civil Aviation is located here. In 1974, in the Ulyanovsk Region, they filmed an episode of a TU-134 aircraft landing on a highway in the famous comedy by E. Ryazanov "The Incredible Adventures of Italians in Russia." A spare strip of the airfield was made up under the highway, a dangerous stunt was performed by the Ulyanovsk pilots.