Interesting facts »Plants» Interesting facts about watermelon.
- The watermelon is believed to have originated in the Kalahari Desert in Africa. It was brought to America across the Atlantic Ocean by African slaves.
- In the 1600s, watermelon reached Spain, China, Great Britain, and further into Europe.
- Watermelons are more than 90% water. Watermelon is actually a vegetable, not a fruit. The official name of the watermelon is Citrullus Lanatus from the Curcurbitaceae family.
- The Guinness Book of Records has registered the largest watermelon weighing 135 kilograms!
- More than 1, 200 varieties of watermelon are grown all over the world.
- Watermelon is a good source of Potassium, and a very good source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
- A whole cup of watermelon contains only 48 calories.