The famous Italian architect Aristotle Fioravanti was invited by Ivan III to Moscow in 1474 to build the Assumption Cathedral in the Moscow Kremlin. In his native Italy, he became famous for the fact that in 1455 he was able, for the first time in history, to move the 24-meter bell tower of the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore by 13 meters, for that. Moreover, the bell tower did not understand. It had to be moved in order to free up the area for the construction of an administrative building.
A similar event could be repeated in Russia, but already at the beginning of the 19th century. Moreover, it was not the capital's masters who distinguished themselves, but the provincial craftsman Dmitry Petrov from near Ryazan. In 1812 he went to work in the city of Morshansk, Tambov province.
At this time, a new stone church was being erected there, on the site of a wooden church. But it was a pity to demolish the old church. Dmitry Petrov turned to the church elder with an unusual proposal - to move the church a little to the side. This will allow both the space and the preservation of the temple.
The walls were fastened with iron staples and tied with ropes so that they would not collapse when moved. With the help of strong logs, the temple was slightly raised and wooden rollers were brought under the foundation. Then they carefully moved the building about 30 meters. Eyewitnesses claimed that at that time a service was going on in the church, and the parishioners only felt weak tremors. When they left the church, they were surprised to find that the temple was in a new place. Rich patrons of art awarded Dmitry Petrov generously, gave him 250 rubles. At that time, the amount was enormous.
This practice was not particularly widespread in tsarist Russia. In 1898, a two-story house on Kalanchevka was moved, which interfered with the construction of railway tracks. A year later, a couple of small houses were moved on Malaya Gruzinskaya Street.
But, during the Soviet era, such movement of houses became commonplace. In 1935, in the midst of the reconstruction of Moscow, a Trust for the reconstruction and relocation of buildings was even created in the capital. Dozens of buildings have changed their "place of registration". In the thirties, Soviet builders were able to move the L-shaped building along Osipenko Street. The building was built just a few years ago, but soon the construction of a metro bridge was planned here. Moreover, the work was well planned, it was not even necessary to evict the tenants during such a dangerous maneuver.
Interestingly, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, such "travel" of high-rise buildings is a thing of the past. The last, at the moment, experiment was carried out over the building of the Moscow Art Theater in 1983. It was required to increase the area of the auditorium. The building was sawn in half, the halves were divided, the necessary extension was added, then all the parts were connected into a single monolith.
Since the late 19th century, house relocations have also been successful in the United States. One of the buildings was transported even 84 kilometers - a record that has not been broken to date.
If in our country in recent decades buildings have been left in their usual places, then in many countries of the world it is a rather profitable business. There are a number of companies that willingly, for a substantial amount, move the building in the right direction.