At noon on May 15, 1591, in the city of Uglich, the bell of the Savior Cathedral rang out. With this alarm, priest Fedot and watchman Maxim Kuznetsov notified the townspeople of the death of Tsarevich Dmitry, son of Ivan the Terrible
The bell ringing gathered a huge number of townspeople in the square. Riots began, which ended in lynching the alleged murderers of the eight-year-old prince.
The head of the Moscow Court of Justice Vasily Shuisky conducted an investigation, as a result of which it was stated that the cause of the death of the tsarevich was suicide. The prince played with a knife and, according to the investigation, inflicted a mortal wound on himself.
200 residents of Uglich who participated in the riot were executed, another 60 families were sent into exile in Siberia. And the bell of the Spassky Cathedral, weighing 19 poods and 26 pounds (more than 300 kilograms), was recognized as the instigator of the riot. They pulled out his tongue, cut off his ear and exiled to the city of Tobolsk.
In 1593, the rebel bell arrived at the place of exile. It was restored and hung on the bell tower of the Tobolsk Church of the All-Merciful Savior, and later on the bell tower of St. Sophia Cathedral, where the clock was striking at it.
In the 18th century, an inscription was carved on the bell: “This bell, which sounded the alarm during the murder of the faithful Tsarevich Dmitry, was sent from the city of Uglich to Siberia in 1593 to exile in the city of Tobolsk, to the Church of the All-Merciful Savior, which is on the Torgue, and then on the Sofiyskaya bell tower it was hour-to-day ”.
In 1849, the inhabitants of Uglich decided to return the exiled bell and turned to the Minister of Internal Affairs, Count Perovsky. But in the Yaroslavl diocesan archive there were no documents confirming that the exiled bell was really Uglich.
A new attempt to return the relic to its homeland took place in 1888. This time the request of the townspeople was granted. In May 1892, the bell, exiled three hundred years ago, returned to Uglich again.
In Tobolsk, a dummy bell was made, which has survived to this day and is located in the Tobolsk Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve.
And the original bell became an exhibit of the Uglich Museum of Antiquities (now the Uglich State Historical, Architectural and Art Museum).
Interestingly, not all historians are sure of the authenticity of the Uglich bell. In 1983, a chemical analysis of the alloy was carried out. It has been established that the bell was cast in the 15th century, although the opposite opinion still exists.